"I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart."

............

Kady's comment of the moment:

We had accidentally purchased some "Medium" Salsa instead of "Mild". Kady was telling us how hot it was and then said, "I wonder what "LARGE" tastes like?!"



Creed's comment of the moment:



Creed jumping up and down with excitement yelling - "Yeah, I love Open House. Woo-Hoo!!" And then, without missing a beat, looks up at me and asks, "What is Open House, by the way."




Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Deep Thoughts

As I was eating supper last night with the kids - Kady decided to have a deep theological discussion with me. Here is the gist of it:
"Mommy, what part of us goes to heaven?" I explained the part that makes us laugh, smile, cry. The part inside that no one sees that makes us the person we are. Our bodies stay here on earth. "Yeah," she says, "cause our legs can't go. They can't break away from our body."
Soon - we moved on to:
" Does God make us in heaven and then send us to earth?" I told her I really didn't know the absolute answer to that question. No one does. However, it does say in the Bible that "God knit us together in our mother's womb" (I began bracing myself for the questions to come from that statement. And they came.) "Mommy, what is a womb?" I explained it was the place a baby stayed while it was in a mommy's tummy. "Mommy, what does knit mean?" I explained it was a way to say "make". She took all this information and told me, "So, he made me inside of you. God just covered your belly with something, put me in there and then got you back to normal."
It was a few moments later and she asks me:
"What time will I die when I am 100?" I must have looked at her quite strange because she went on to ask, "Will it be 10 or 12 or 1 o'clock?" I explained to her that NO ONE knows what time they will die. And no one knows when they will die - whether they will be 80 or 100 (Hey, she is almost 5, I am not going to go with any lower numbers than that!) I went on to tell her that when we do die, we won't care because we get to see Jesus.
She then says, "I wish we could see Jesus - here (on earth)." I told her mommy wishes a lot of time that Jesus was here on earth. I told her there are many times that mommy wants Jesus to hold her or hug her when she is sad, but that is why Jesus gave me her and Creed. To give me Jesus hugs through them. At that point - Creed stood up in his chair and gave me a HUGE hug and kiss. He was listening to this entire conversation and actually understanding it some. At that point, I didn't care that I was now covered in the meat, potatoes, and carrots that was on his bib - what mattered is that my children are growing in their faith even at this age. I hope Kady continues to question what we tell her, so that her relationship with Christ is her own. Not what her mommy and daddy have told her, or what she has learned in Sunday School. But something she has determined as her own. Don't we all want that for our kids - whether they are 2 or 102?

1 comment:

Honeybee said...

Talking to children is the most refreshing thing!