"I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart."

............

Kady's comment of the moment:

We had accidentally purchased some "Medium" Salsa instead of "Mild". Kady was telling us how hot it was and then said, "I wonder what "LARGE" tastes like?!"



Creed's comment of the moment:



Creed jumping up and down with excitement yelling - "Yeah, I love Open House. Woo-Hoo!!" And then, without missing a beat, looks up at me and asks, "What is Open House, by the way."




Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Children and Their Clothes

My children both have become VERY interested in clothing lately. Kady wants to "pick out" her own outfits and unfortunately does not have the best knack at matching. So - about a week before school started we sorted through her clothes and now we have a "play clothes" drawer and a "school clothes" drawer. The play clothes are just in their drawer however we put them in - however, the school clothes drawer is arranged by outfit. She has to wear the outfit - not just pull a green shirt out and put on pink pants. She took to this idea - thankfully - and chose right away what outfit she was going to wear to school on the first day. Unfortunately - she was to wear her Pre-K shirt on the first day. I assumed this was so if anyone found a little child wondering in the hall and they had the Pre-K shirt on - they would know where to send them. Kady informed me it was so the teacher would know who she was. So - we took a "second day of school" picture of Kady in her outfit.
Kady in her "second day of school" outfit.
Now - my son is another story. For a LONG time, he did not want to change out of his pj shirt in the mornings. He would change the shorts/pants no problem - but start to rip off that shirt and there would be war. So - instead, I just waited until it was time to go outside and told him he could not wear his pjs outside and he was more than happy to change. Then, we went through a phase where all he wanted to wear was his yellow motorcycle shirt. I washed it often and am contemplating hiding the thing. It is too small and worn out - but he LOVES that shirt. Now - he has decided he is going to pick out his own clothing. I have found at this point, there is NO point in folding his clothes. I need to just throw them in the drawer, because once he goes through EVERY shirt in the drawer and says - "nother one" - it looks like a tornado just went through his drawers. But - at least he is trying to become a little more independent so who am I to complain.

Creed going through his drawer in the morning. As you can see - his hand is reaching for the yellow motorcycle shirt - once again. But - only after unfolding and throwing all the others aside.


One more picture - I just love this one of Kady - my beautiful little girl - and speaking of this girl:

We have always tried to give away Kady's clothes she can no longer wear to friends, family, etc. Well - she has outgrown some underwear and we bought a bigger size. She told me tonight that she had a pair of the old stuff on and that it was tight around her waist. I told her we need to take it out of her drawer. She asked "Mom, who are we going to give my underwear to?" Ok - first let me preface this by saying - I have a thing about used shoes, swimsuits, underwear, socks, or anything else that could be considered an undergarment or that isn't considered a top layer item. So - I told my giving little child that "We do not give underwear away - we will probably just be throwing it in the trash." She was astonished. You should have seen the shock and awe on her face! She could not believe I would do such a thing. I tried to explain to her in the nicest way possible that mommy just cannot bring herself to give her underwear away - but she just kept telling me how someone might want it. So - after a little more discussion (which my husband just smiled at) I have decided that one evening while she is sound asleep in her bed I will have to go in and dispose of the underwear discreetly. If there is a question in the morning about such incident - I will just explain that the underwear fairy must have come in the night. (Hey - they believe in the tooth fairy - why not the underwear fairy???) Now that I have embarrassed my daughter completely (at least it will when she reads this at the age of 14 or so) I am off to bed. However - just for the record - underwear aside - I am proud that my daughter is so giving and has a giving heart.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Heh. Underwear fairy. That is funny! When Allie was Creed's age or so, she insisted on picking out her own clothes. In order for them to match, I put matching outfits in gallon sized ziploc bags. She could pick out whatever she wanted and always matched. It worked out really well for us.