(Editors Note - I have added to this blog - please keep reading)

Well - it is now Wednesday night and my husband is not coming home. He and his dad are "trapped" as he told me on the phone - at Boulder Field on Long's Peak. (Note to husbands - do not start out an already static sounding phone call with - we have called 911 and ...) The weather has been awful here this afternoon and just a few hours ago we were in a tornado warning. Luckily - it looks like the weather is headed east and will not be getting near the mountain this evening. Chris called me about 3 pm and let me know that they were safe but COLD and very wet and that they were calling for help. There is a "hut" as you can see above. This is their bed for the evening. They are not alone, but I have a feeling it will be a long, cold evening - never the less. He did call me back about 2 hours later and this time I could actually hear him a little better. He let me know that they were not able to continue due to hail and that they were probably going to have to stay the night. He told me that there was no one to come and get them out - however the ranger station was going to try to send blankets and clothing for them as they are all drenched to the bone. I looked on the net this evening and found that it is about 5 hours down from the point they are at now. So - I expect to see my spouse tomorrow afternoon. I guess the kids and I will just have to do our plans tomorrow without daddy unfortunately. We enjoyed the library and some other things this afternoon. So - pray for my husband. I have never heard his teeth chatter like they were when he called. I just hope he can get warm and get off that mountain!!! Well - I need to get some sleep. I know my children will be rearing to go in the morning!
At 9:15 pm Chris called and said he had made it off the mountain. He was at the Park Ranger station - just wet and very cold - but safe. His dad is okay - but was in need of some medical attention while on the mountain (he got too cold) so Chris headed on out leaving him in the hands of some very good rangers and doctors. Anyway - I went to get Chris and am now home. He is safe and has quite a story to tell - I will make him blog when he finds the time. It is about midnight and Linda and I are heading back up to the trail head to get Bill and she will bring him back in their vehicle. So - the sleep will come about 1 am and the children will soon awakening all of us!!! Thanks for the prayers - all those that said a quick one today - Chris can let you know how it was answered.

Well - it is now Wednesday night and my husband is not coming home. He and his dad are "trapped" as he told me on the phone - at Boulder Field on Long's Peak. (Note to husbands - do not start out an already static sounding phone call with - we have called 911 and ...) The weather has been awful here this afternoon and just a few hours ago we were in a tornado warning. Luckily - it looks like the weather is headed east and will not be getting near the mountain this evening. Chris called me about 3 pm and let me know that they were safe but COLD and very wet and that they were calling for help. There is a "hut" as you can see above. This is their bed for the evening. They are not alone, but I have a feeling it will be a long, cold evening - never the less. He did call me back about 2 hours later and this time I could actually hear him a little better. He let me know that they were not able to continue due to hail and that they were probably going to have to stay the night. He told me that there was no one to come and get them out - however the ranger station was going to try to send blankets and clothing for them as they are all drenched to the bone. I looked on the net this evening and found that it is about 5 hours down from the point they are at now. So - I expect to see my spouse tomorrow afternoon. I guess the kids and I will just have to do our plans tomorrow without daddy unfortunately. We enjoyed the library and some other things this afternoon. So - pray for my husband. I have never heard his teeth chatter like they were when he called. I just hope he can get warm and get off that mountain!!! Well - I need to get some sleep. I know my children will be rearing to go in the morning!
At 9:15 pm Chris called and said he had made it off the mountain. He was at the Park Ranger station - just wet and very cold - but safe. His dad is okay - but was in need of some medical attention while on the mountain (he got too cold) so Chris headed on out leaving him in the hands of some very good rangers and doctors. Anyway - I went to get Chris and am now home. He is safe and has quite a story to tell - I will make him blog when he finds the time. It is about midnight and Linda and I are heading back up to the trail head to get Bill and she will bring him back in their vehicle. So - the sleep will come about 1 am and the children will soon awakening all of us!!! Thanks for the prayers - all those that said a quick one today - Chris can let you know how it was answered.
This is the view of Longs Peak that you "could not see" due to the storm that was going through. This is all we could see and had not heard from Chris or Bill. Chris called me about a half hour later to let me know he was at least safe.
This is the view of Long's Peak about three hours later. Same place - same mountain. Now you understand why Chris had quite an experience.

3 comments:
Glad they made it down. I am sure it is quite a story!
So glad to hear they are OK. Your post was not on when I went to bed, or I would probably not have slept.
M&D
Can't wait to hear all about it! Glad you both are safe!
Post a Comment