My son is driving me crazy. He has begun "telling me" everything he is going to do, planning on doing in the near future, or doing at that exact moment. He tells me everything he is thinking (good or bad) and never is afraid to tell me what he thinks. For example, he will tell me, "Mommy, I'm going to go to the potty and then I am going to go to my room and get my toy and then come right back and we will play and you will be the red guy and I will be the green and it will be fun! So, you do the dishes and I'll go potty (read sentence above again)"
OK, first of all let's do the potty thing NOW! You see, as he is telling me all these "things" he is dancing around wildly and stuttering and repeating himself every third or fourth word. So - what you just read in a few seconds, may take Creed a few minutes to actually "spit out". I love that he is SO concerned with my knowledge of his life, but I really do NOT want to clean up a yellow mess off of my floor. So - I have struggled with - do I be a good mommy and let him "expand on his language development" or do I decide to just yell and say "Go potty now!!" I have done both - let me tell you - but you know, I've learned that if I will just listen, it goes a long way. So, I am learning to listen. I am learning to put down what I am doing and listen. I am learning to try and not get frustrated as my son tries to "slowly" spit out what he wants to tell me.
Makes me think of how much I need to listen, not only to my son, but to my Lord. I get frustrated MANY times, because I feel like He is not talking to me as quickly as I want Him to. Or, He is telling me this and that and not getting to the point I am interesting in. Or maybe, I am too worried about what concerns me, rather than what concerns Him. I'm just glad He still uses my gifts to teach me lessons.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment