We have determined that Creed is definitely allergic to egg. We knew through allergy testing and one prior reaction that Creed had the allergy, but this week has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that this allergy is real and can be an issue in ways we had not yet considered.
We have recently have been looking into getting a dog. We have had dogs in our home before, and we actually gave the dogs to a good home after we assumed Creed had an allergy to the dogs. Well - last week we decided since the skin test did not show an allergy to dogs, but rather to cats - we would see what would happen. Chris, Kady and Creed went to the pound and found a very large and rumbustious dog named Hank. He was beautiful. He was a sheltie and lab mix with brindle colored, soft, short hair fur. He was really a good dog. He never had an accident in the house, didn't bark, but was a LARGE puppy for this house full of kids. Anyway - I say was because we only had Hank for about 24 hours. A few hours after we brought Hank home, Creed broke out in hives all over his face. He and Chris had been playing with a rope bone with the dog. And - the dog had eaten a few hours earlier - and the food had egg in it. So - the dog's saliva had egg and Creed reacted to that saliva - a scary thought. So, I cleaned everything this dog could have possibly licked, slobbered on, etc. that evening, vacuumed the house thoroughly, and we changed to a different type of dog food with no egg. I gave the dog and his bedding a bath the next day and Creed did not break out the entire day until that evening - when he encountered the dog's saliva again. He then broke out again in a rashy, hive. By this time - the dog was already headed to his former home (the shelter). So - we assumed he was actually allergic to the dog, his saliva or something like that.
Now - to this week. We were lucky enough to know someone that has a hypo-allergenic small dog that they would allow us to use to "test the waters" so to speak. We got her on Sunday afternoon and on Monday morning Creed reacted AGAIN! We were really beginning to wonder if this household is just destined to be dog free. We had given the dog a bath, we had looked specifically for dog food with no egg, and we had done everything we could think of to prepare for this dog. A hypo-allergenic dog at that! Well - we again bathed the dog and changed the food and we are on day 3 of no reaction to a dog. So - after coming to the conclusion that the other foods "natural ingredients" may just be egg - and the new dog food not having this "ingredient" this may work. We will see. I'll post pics of the little fur ball later.
Anyway - I'm really wordy today aren't I - Creed was out of the house on Wednesday morning and was offered a cookie. Unfortunately, there was egg in the cookie and Creed gobbled the ENTIRE cookie up! Well - when I went to pick him up - which fortunately was just minutes after he eaten the cookie - he was starting to react. He was getting hives around his mouth and a little swelling. By the time we got home, he was reacting pretty well - but he was still breathing okay. THANK THE LORD!! I got some medication in him and the swelling and hives diminished quite a bit. However - about an hour later he was complaining of severe stomach pains. He was doubled over a few times and in tears. I called the doctor and basically - at that point - you just have to let nature take it course - and that is what nature did. It wasn't long after I hung up with the doctor that Creed's body rid himself of that cookie! Oh - my poor living room floor! Green food coloring does not come out of carpet very well!! But - Creed was relieved at that moment - so I guess we will deal with a little green! He did have an additional reaction later that afternoon since the egg was still in his system a little and the medication had worn off - so another dose of Benadryl and we were good to go.
I told Chris - this is a good thing. We were there and able to assess the situation and know what can and will occur when Creed comes in contact with and/or consumes egg. I know from the doctors and all the "literature" we have read that the next reaction will most likely be more severe - but at least we know the "process" of the reaction and will be prepared (with a trash can!!) next time!
So - all I can say is I really believe it was no coincidence that I was there moments after Creed consumed the egg cookie. I know that God had a hand in making sure that snack was consumed at the end of the hour instead of in the middle (which is normally what happens). I know that God was watching over the situation that day and had a hand in it. And - I know that next time this happens (and it will) He will have a hand in it at that time as well. (I just need to remember that when it is happening!)
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment