We are exhausted and just want to know if anyone knows any tricks to deal with night terrors. Creed was having them inconsistently for a while - but for the last month it seems like we have dealt with one almost every night. Some nights they consist of just sitting on his bed and staring at the wall and crying. Other nights they consist of crying uncontrollably and staring off into space at who knows what. And still other nights they consist of him screaming at whatever he is seeing and looking at us as though we are these monsters that are trying to kill him. And like tonight - he will eventually come to me, but then I become a part of his "terror". He talks to me and even seems at times to understand me, but consoling him is almost impossible. He eventually wakes up on his own, has no idea what he was dreaming about, and how he got out of his bed and into my arms. Last night - he was SO scared and shaking so much that he soaked through his PJs - and this was after he was running on his bed and tried to run right off of it! Tonight - his little lip was quivering SO much it made me cry! It is such a helpless feeling to see your son in such terror and not be able to do ANYTHING about it. And it seems like the terrors are just getting worse, last longer, and are happening even more than once an evening.
So - anyone have any ideas. We have turned lights on. Sometimes this makes it better, sometimes worse. I have tried to just stand back and let him be, but usually he calls for me and I have to let him know I am sitting there. (I'm not sure if this is real or part of the terror). We have tried trying to wake him up telling him it is morning. I've tried to offer candy and gum. (A few times this has actually woken him up!) So - if you have any other ideas let us know. And just to answer the questions we have already gotten. Yes, they have a bedtime routine and schedule. No, he has not watched any horror films that we are aware of. Yes, he is VERY tired by the time he gets to bed. And no - he is not on any new medications at this time. So - if you have any other ideas - we'd be welcome to them! We NEED sleep (and so does everyone else in our family!)
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear this. I did a little internet research on this and didn't find much that you are not already doing. One thing I saw was that you could try waking him up about 15 minutes before the night terrors usually take place. This is supposed to disrupt the sleep pattern that night terrors fall under.
What time does Creed go to bed? I want to pray for him every night at his bed time. He will be relieved of this!
what does he say he is seeing? Does he remember them in the morning?
Keith
The only time we actually could understand what he was saying - He told us that he the bad guy was gonna get them. Then he was screaming and telling Kady no and to run. Other times he is just looking at things and mumbling - but it usually doesn't make any sense. He does not remember any of them. He doesn't even remember what he was dreaming about as soon as he wakes up from the terror. It is REALLY weird!!
Post a Comment