My son came to me this morning looking oh so adorable in his daddy's hat and gave me a big hug. Then, he looked at me with those dark brown eyes and full face smile and says, "Mommy, I need a fluffy!" I knew the answer, but I asked anyway. "What is a Fluffy?" He looks at me again with that crooked smile and says, "Mommy, it's a doggy. I need a doggy!!!" I explained to him that the dog he was referring to was not named Fluffy, but was named Zoey, and that Zoey belonged to someone else. He looked at me and said "But mommy, mommy, I don't want Zoey, I want a fluffy!!" (Guess that trick wasn't going to work!) So, I gently explained to him that we were not going to get a dog anytime soon. He was NOT happy with me - gave me his infamous pouty face and marched away telling anyone that would listen that "Mommy no get me a fluffy!"
So - I said no to the question. However, after lunch today as I looked at the kitchen floor under my two year old's seat and saw the pringles, grapes, cheese, bread (and whatever else dropped from the LONG trip from his plate to his mouth), I began to wonder if I was only punishing myself. A dog would be more than happy to wag its tail gleefully under the table as it enjoyed an oh so yummy half-eaten snack. And then, only a few minutes later, when my son dropped his sister's cup on the floor and sticky, wet juice went all over the carpet - I looked around for a Fluffy to lick the mess up and then I would just have to clean and sanitize the carpet.
But again - the answer is no. I SO dearly miss my dogs. I miss the security I felt when Chris was gone at night. I miss the constant company. I miss the excitement when you walk in the door from only being outside to get the mail. I miss the "I need to go on a walk" look that Maggie could give and it would PUSH me to get out and exercise. I miss having a warm, furry blanket to snuggle with while watching TV late at night. However, what I don't miss is my son's constant runny nose and choking on the ever flowing snot from the dog in the house. (Yes, there is controversy here, between my husband and the doctor, but it has to be said) I do NOT miss the dog puke, the chewing on miscellaneous toys and furniture, the hair ALL over the house, going out in below 0 temperatures so the dog can go to the bathroom, and the whole poop in the yard thing. So - maybe in a few years from now, when the kids are old enough to take care of the above mentioned items - the dog may come back in the picture. But for now, we are pet free. However, I will enjoy EVERY moment I can get when snuggling my brother and sisters animals and let my children torture their animals for the weekend. (I'll just let them deal with the not so fun stuff!)

4 comments:
I have one question. What was the result of the allergy testing that Creed had? Answer honestly Anita. I don't want to hear that it was possibly wrong because he was too young either. The doc wouldn't have sent him for the test if he was too young for it.
I don't mind pets in others' homes, but my two big minuses outweigh any plusses for me: 1. As a child I lost a pet and have never wanted to go through that grief again. I still did--once with my children, lately with my husband. 2. I can't deal with the care and the mess. It's like having a toddler that never grows up.
all I know is we can negotiate a dog...cute, white, fluffy, doesn't shed, loves kids, and surely doesn't do any of those things listed on your naughty list...
will talk later keith!
Post a Comment