I knew it would be tough. I knew it would be a LONG, drawn out process. But nothing could have prepared me for this. It all started on Monday. It was a nice day out so I knew we would be spending most of the day outside (yeah, yeah). So, I donned my two year old in underwear, old pants, and boots and sent him on his way. We had already spent 45 minutes sitting on the potty after 2 glasses of juice at breakfast, I knew he HAD to go. So, I warned him the consequences he would feel if he went in his pants and within 5 minutes - the pants were wet. But, was my son upset? No, not in the least. He came running to me telling me, "My boots are wet, isn't that cool". No, that is NOT COOL. That is gross, disgusting and eeewww!
Tuesday, we sat on the potty for a while. No luck. We would sit for about a half hour - get off and then he would fill his diaper moments later.
Wednesday, we sat on the potty for an hour. No luck. Pee in the diaper. Another hour and a half, no luck. Pee in the diaper. I was getting VERY frustrated!!!
Today, Creed woke up dry - so I stuck him on the potty with MUCH protest!! And we sat, and we sat, and we sat. We read books, listened to stories on tape, and did anything else that would keep him on the potty. Two hours later (yes you read that right, I said two HOURS later) Creed won. He had to go so bad when he would cough or laugh he leaked to be quite blunt! But, I had to get to the daycare kids and he won that battle. BUT, I watched the child like a hawk! The minute I saw him standing still in that "potty stance" I snatched him and with one motion got the pants down and him on the potty. He was SHOCKED! And after sitting again, he FINALLY went! And he went! And he went!
Now, it is hours later and we have had no luck. He got up from nap dry and I sat him on the potty again. He again - was VERY reluctant - but it IS time!!! We looked at I SPY books, we cleaned under our fingernails, trimmed our nails, Creed combed my hair MANY times, Creed combed his hair, Creed turned the toilet paper roller into a shot and was giving everything around him an injection - but STILL NO potty! So, it is now time for the daycare kids to arrive home from school. The others have patiently read books or played in the playroom while I made sure Creed stayed on the potty. But, this round, he has won. (I know, I am a mother and that should not be my mentality, but I am VERY frustrated at this point!)
But - there is always tomorrow. So, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to potty train a VERY stubborn little boy - let me know! I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of - and as you can tell - NO LUCK! Or better yet, if any of you want a sweet, charming, huggable little boy to spend a few days with you while you work on his potty training skills - just let me know. The bag can be ready quickly!!!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well when we were training Lincoln (#2) we were exactly were you are. A friend from church told us about the potty toy concept. We took him to Target and told him he could pick out a toy (we limited it to $5) We told him that he could only play with it while on the potty and when he started going on the potty all the time then he could have the toy for keeps. With in 2 days he was done with the diapers and done peeing in his pants, He really wanted his Buzz Lightyear toy. He did have a few accidents over the next couple weeks but that was it. Now we are trying with Mia who just turned two but she is being extremely stubborn, hopefully she will soon get it.
Post a Comment